23 October 2008

What do I do when I do what I do?

Well, in a nutshell...I am a trainer, a facilitator and an observer. My official title is 'OC/T' that is Armyese for Observer Controller/Trainer. What does that mean exactly? Well, it means that I am a subject matter expert that evaluates a unit (group of soldiers) ability to perform some basic infantry tasks. Sometimes, well oftentimes, these tasks are not something the unit is familiar with.

For instance, we have a unit that mainly deals in repairing vehicles...we train and evaluate their abilities to enter and clear a building...kicking open doors and entering rooms like a SWAT team, in essence. That is something that they never have had to do...but they may have to do it when they get to the war zone.






We also evaluate their ability to handle weapons and equipment that they will be issued and on how to deal with the local populace



We also present scenarios and test their response to high stress situations like IED attacks or snipers...



We give them doctrinally sound information that is current with the situation awaiting them in country




After every scenario an OC/T or "OC" will pull the unit aside for an AAR or "After Action Review" to discuss what happened, what was supposed to happen and how things could be better...

No comments: