23 October 2008

R & R around base

Since I don't have a vehicle, my off time is limited to what is readily accessible to me...which ain't much! During my off time I hike or run around the hills. I also have access to a local mission that is a couple of hundred years old.




I was doing some volunteer work, mostly grounds keeping type stuff, when I had a lot of free time but there isnt much free time to be had lately...



The mission has been here much longer than the base, it was refurbished in the 1920s and is now both a working mission and museum.



It's name is Mission San Antonio de Padua and it is an amazing place to visit and an even more amazing place considering what would have been here when the Priests decided to build it...



Other than the mission and hiking there is a movie theater that is never opened and a bar located in a building simply called the "Hacienda" which is about a hundred years old and was built as a ranch house when the land was used as a cattle ranch at the turn of the century...



There are some rooms there for rent, Theodore Roosevelt actually stayed there, and there is a bar that is open from Wednesday through Saturday but it is only frequented by a few base people..


No comments: