23 October 2008

Burn Baby Burn

I guess one of the first things that you all should know about Hunter Liggett is that it has a tendency to burn. I mean, if you look at the ground wrong you will start a fire. This is a big issue if you are say, shooting machine guns with tracers or throwing around artillery simulators -which are pretty much just 1/4 sticks of dynamite.




Anyway, we start our fair share of fires...okay, so we start pretty much all of the fires out here. I mean, you remember when I told you that we were the only humans for 35 miles? Well, add in explosives, no rain for 4 months and dry scrub and you have the recipe for a nice burn...





Needless to say, we have all kinds of precautions set-up to prevent fires...especially since a fire here can easily jump from 1 to 2400 acres in 24 hours. However, fires do happen and they are almost unavoidable given the type of training we do.

No comments: